Friday, November 16, 2012

Artistic Explanation, 1st Draft

Alright, this is basically the story of how I came to this idea, and it is also the best way for me to describe the theory to people who haven't done a lot of studying in science (specifically physics).

I am a huge fan of science fiction/fantasy/comics, and I have been creating and drawing my own characters since about the age of seven. As I got older, I wanted to put these characters in a Universe that had things like magic and super powers, but I always wanted to have a cool new reason for how they got their abilities. In other words, I wanted to create a Universe that made sense. That is what lead me to research physics, so I could use things that make sense in our Universe to explain things in my fictional Universe.



A fun mystery I liked to consider when thinking about the Universe goes like this: 
What is your body made of? Organs, and organs are made of cells. Cells are made of molecules. Molecules are made of atoms. Atoms are made of protons neutrons and electrons. 
That is where my high school education left things, but further research led me to learn some more about quarks and bosons and other particles. Still, what are those made of then? At some point this is going to have to stop, right? How could we exist if we don't even know what we are made of...

Then you can go in the other direction. Where is our body? Earth, and Earth is part of the solar system, which is part of the Milky Way, which is floating around is space with some other galaxies in the Universe. Ok, but then where is the Universe? What is outside of the Universe? How could something exist if there is no frame of reference to compare it to? Places, like a country for example, can be described by saying what is around it, such as geographical features, other countries, or what continent it's on. So how do we do that with the Universe? How can it even be a place!?

So we are made out of stuff that isn't really stuff, and we live in a place that isn't really a place. It seemed like science didn't really have an answer to explain this, so I just chalked it up as a Mystery of the Universe and let it sit in the back of my head. 

In my studies of art, color came up a lot, but the artistic color wheel never really seemed like anything special, it was basically just a guide for mixing paint. However, when I learned more about light, rainbows and how we actually SEE color, things became particularly interesting to me. The colors we see are a small part of the electromagnetic spectrum, and this spectrum also accounts for heat(infrared), microwaves, radio waves, ultraviolet, xrays and gamma rays. 
So my interest in color led me to discover the electromagnetic spectrum, and as I read more about it, the question arose "what wavelengths are shorter than gamma rays, and what is longer than a radio wave?" I read that gamma rays had such a short wavelength that anything smaller was unmeasurable, and I also read that there could theoretically be a wavelength past radio waves that was so long, it would be as long as the Universe itself. That idea really stuck with me, but otherwise I stuck this in the back of my head with the other mystery and let them hang out together. 

Before I leave the topic of color, I want to point out another really interesting thing I learned about it, specifically the color magenta. If you look at a rainbow, magenta isn't really on there. 

The colors above are ones that have wavelengths on the electromagnetic spectrum, but where is magenta? It turns out that magenta is a color our brain invents for us whenever red and violet overlap. If we bend the spectrum of visible light into a circle, we can see magenta right where it should be and everything looks good.


The next thing that helped me understand the Universe through art came from basic shapes. While teaching art to my students, I began the year with lines and shapes, and the difference between organic and geometric shapes. I would often tell them, "don't try and draw the whole thing at once, break it down to its basic lines and shapes, and build it back up, one piece at a time." This got me to start thinking...well, what is the most basic shape? I figured if squares represent 4 and triangles represented 3, then a line would have to represent 2 and circles would represent 1. It made sense that circles would be the most basic shape. However, circles could also be seen as the most complex shape, because if you keep adding sides to a shape, it starts to be come more and more round until it basically looks like a circle. 

etc...

This is where things started to really click for me. It seemed like there was something really super special about circles. 

So now I figured, if you can bend the spectrum of visible light into a circle to make sense of magenta, what would happen if you bent the entire electromagnetic spectrum into a circle? What would be the "magenta" that connects radio waves to gamma rays?

My theory is that Gravity is a part of the electromagnetic spectrum, with a wavelength longer than radiowaves, and shorter than gamma rays. In other words, Gravity is the magenta of the Universe.

Circles are basically loops, and things that loop have a speed of how often they loop, also known as frequency. Frequency brings us right back to wavelengths and the electromagnetic spectrum. This idea of looping can help me sort out the other mystery sitting in my head, the one about what we are made out of and where the Universe is. Maybe inside the smallest particles there is actually another Universe, and our Universe is actually inside an elementary particle, and it just keeps looping back and forth like that.

My last tie in with art comes in the form of fractals and the golden ratio. These are mathematically repeating patterns found all over the Universe that basically go on forever in an infinite loop. 

It seems pretty obvious that these are patterns the Universe is just hardwired to make. I think we should start to consider Gravity to be the connection that makes a loop out of the electromagnetic spectrum, and we should maybe consider a new language for math that breaks everything down to a description of frequency and amplitude. I'm not really sure what this would all lead to, but it makes too much sense to ignore.



1 comment:

  1. Fascinating. An excelent explanation of a very metaphysical concept without sounding pretentious or silly.

    ReplyDelete